Friday, June 2, 2017

Preface to ISTE 2017

When delving into educational technology it doesn't take you long to realize how excited some people get over the annual ISTE conference. I first became aware of the organization during my instructional technology degree classes about seven years ago. I even helped with a portion of the Denver Conference via Second Life. It was lots of fun and I still stop by ISTE Island on Second Life. (My avatar is Skleros Kwan if you want to look me up there).

I get a kick out of going to conferences and symposiums. The contagious excitement helps wipe away the stress of teaching and get me pumped for getting back in the classroom. I have never been to a national convention or conference of any type. The closest was going the PAX East this past winter with my daughter. I kind of expect ISTE 2017 to be like that except for it being edtech, not gaming.

PAX East 2017

As with PAX, I will do the following at ISTE:

  • Bring a water bottle
  • Wear comfortable shoes
  • Talk to people and vendors
  • Sit down once in awhile
  • Bring a snack or two
  • Bring phone and charger
  • Realize that no matter how much you plan you still won't get in to certain events/vendors but being flexible will allow for a better experience.

So perhaps the last one is poor planning on my part. Getting into a meet and greet or panel at PAX was pretty much impossible for this n00b.

I am not sure about ordering business cards as I have heard suggested. Just seems odd for a teacher to have a business card. Maybe if I call it a "PLN Card" or something it won't sound so silly. I have also seen it suggested to bring address labels for giveaways and drawings. Not a bad idea I suppose. Where do people tend to order these things?

Regardless, I'm looking forward to ISTE. Even if I just wander around the EXPO floor and catch a few other events and dinners I'll be happy. I will also be spending a copious amount of time at the Legends of Learning area.

For info on preparing for ISTE see:  ISTE 2017 Survival Guide

1 comment:

  1. My experience at larger conferences is that most vendors have a scanner to use rather than making you fill in forms at the booths. And you can always take a quick pic of a new friend's badge. Keep twitter open at ALL times, too!

    ReplyDelete