Sunday, July 30, 2017

Must-Have Non-Science Materials for a Physical Science Class

In some states the school year is fast approaching and preparations need to be made. If you are a veteran science teacher you have probably accumulated many oddball items. Science teachers just starting out may not have accumulated as much stuff. Through my 15 years of teaching I have found myself coming back to certain materials over and over again for use in class. These are not pieces of science equipment to be ordered from a science catalog (with a few exceptions), but other knickknacks that are used frequently in my room and often purchased from Dollar Stores and supermarkets. From activities to demonstrations I use each of these multiple times a year in different classes and situations.


  • Butane Lighter
  • Utility Knife (Leatherman or something similar)
  • Popsicle Sticks/wood splints
  • Plastic Utensils
  • Various Balls (golf, ping-pong, tennis, marbles)
  • Felt, cloth
  • Index Cards
  • Box Cutter
  • Candles
  • String of various types
  • Clear packing tape
  • Cups, plates, and bowls of different sizes and types (plastic, Styrofoam etc.)
  • Balloons
  • Aluminum foil (foil pans too)
  • Wax Paper
  • Toothpicks
  • Food Coloring
  • Screwdrivers (tools in general)
  • Pennies
  • Tooth picks
  • Straws
  • sandwich bags


The district I teach in does not have Bunsen burners. If you do, congrats, and I assume candles and lighters will be less essential for you. Rubber-bands are notably missing. I try not to give my students ammunition. I also did not include writing and art supplies on my list. I limited it to those items used for science labs and demonstrations. The candles were ordered from a science supply company probably 13 years ago and I still have plenty left. Some items of course have non-science uses as well. Popsicle sticks are good for building as well as using them to choose random groups. I will also note that I have taught everything from general chemistry to earth science lab. The variety of classes are part of the reason I have accumulated this hodgepodge assortment.

But that is the benefit of having these items in stock: the myriad uses. I'd love to hear from other teachers about items they constantly use that aren't necessarily science specific. Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment