Friday, December 23, 2016

Jingle Beakers

I have a few traditions in my classroom. One tradition is that the day before Holiday break I have students write "Science Carols". Students choose one of several Christmas songs and write parody lyrics with a science theme. I then put their lyrics on the document camera, pull out my trusty six string, and we sing along. I have heard many renditions of the "12 Days of Science" and "Jingle Beakers" over the years. Many students have difficulty with this task as it does require students to not only be creative but apply their knowledge of both music and science. Of course a few students decide to give up and run around the room instead.


I have always felt that as a teacher bringing in outside passions to class is important. I was a guitarist in a punk band many years before I started teaching. I feel being able to get up in front of people and perform enhanced my ability to get up in front of a class and perform. I have played guitar since high school and love having a job where I can bring my guitar to work.

Every class period at least one student comments, "You play guitar?!"

Again, my passion for music breaks down a barrier and opens a path for genuine rapport with students. Best part, I have fun. Even on Thursday when a cold was irritating my sinuses I managed to smile an sing.

Only downside of this year was that only two classes got to compose and sing science carols. Due to a previous district wireless outage, timing was off and I had to continue with a unit test in two periods. Blech! We powered through the test and students didn't know what they missed (unfortunately). I hadn't had this problem in the past and hopefully won't in the future.

The next lesson that involves a guitar is when we do our unit on sound in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment